Posted by: Joha | 2009-01-21

Noise polution

I would like to find out the rules and regulations for church venues. We have a Shul next door to us. They hire out their venue during week days where the music is bluring from 10pm until 12pm on a week night and party hire companies collect their stock at 3am in the morning. THis excludes the security guards having loud conversations during the odd hours of the morning! I have small children and this has become a nuisance. I have written letters requesting that they sound proof their venue, but no one has responded. What rights do I have and what rights do they have? This is becoming more frequent now. We honestly don' t mind them having functions, but we really don' t want to hear the speeches and the doef doef music!

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It would be a trickier issue if the noise came from religious meetings, but it sounds like these aren't necessarily religious?

The relevant regulations are the Noise Control Regulations PN 627 of 1998. This will hopefully be updated soon by the new draft Noise Control Regulations PN 14 of 2007. These apply to the whole country, but there are bylaws pertinent to specific areas, so let me know what part you live in. If you’d like me to send you these documents, please email me at

In most places you can't make "unreasonable noise" during the week OR weekend after about 5 or 6 pm.

I would recommend lodging a formal complaint with your local environmental health department, and trying to get some of your other neighbours on your side.