Posted by: ROBERT PATERSON | 2009-10-29

What is the rule regarding agriculture. My neighbours have very noisy spray pumps that they use often at night causing my family and my farm workers to lose sleep. is it true that there is a " right to farm" ruling that releases farmers from the normal law on noise pollution?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Farmers may be exempt as regards certain activities, but they would still most likely need to apply in writing to the authorities for such an exemption. They would still need to comply with the broad conditions of the Environment Conservation Act:

4. No person shall make, produce or cause a disturbing noise, or allow it to be made, produced or caused by any person, animal, machine, device or apparatus or any combination thereof; where a disturbing noise means a noise level that exceeds the ambient sound level measured continuously at the same measuring point by 7 dBA or more;

5. No person shall –
(a) cause a noise nuisance, or allow it to be caused, ……..where a noise nuisance means any sound which disturbs or impairs or may disturb or impair the convenience or peace of any person.

Regulations and exeptions do also differ depending what part of the country you're in. You will need to contact your local authority to find out what steps may be taken.

Posted by: Asogan | 2009-10-30

My neighbour locks his dog adjacent to our retaining wall which is about 3m away from our house from 07h00 to 17h00 daily. The dog barks continuously throughout the day, disturbing my wife from having a rest after her daily house work is done . My daughter who is in Grade 10 is studying for her exams , cannot concentrate when studying after school . What is the law against this? Please help.

Reply to Asogan
Posted by: Rozana Leung | 2009-10-30

Dear Sir or Madame, please advise:
The neighbours above our flat ar extremely 0500am - 07.30am evening 12 midnight - 01.30am.
' Stomping'  heavy walking! dropping items banging doors, scraping furniture.
we have complained to the management of our biulding, sent polite letters to the tenant. and to the govt., depatrments, No results.

Please help us this has been going on now for the past 18 months.It is driving my husband and I into illness.
Thank you. yours faithfully, Rozana Leung

Reply to Rozana Leung