Question
Posted by: funkyheart | 2012/02/03

Noise again

i live in a complex and have complained numerous times to the body corp about the people upstairs (not directly up but 1 across) they are so loud all day and most evenings. i have to close my sliding door to block them out. my bedroom window is on the opposit side and they still manage to wake us up in the morning. my kids have their bedroom on their side and are woken up early on weekends. these same people have gone and gotten other neighbores involved and we have been sworn at and shouted at in our gardens. i am at this stage where i feel if i complain that i will get targetted by them and the neighbores. i am at my wits end but my hands are tied. what can i do that will bring calm and get them to shut up

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

I'm so sorry you are having to endure this. Complaining to the body corporate SHOULD have been the best move: there must be building rules regarding noise and disturbance - ask to see these, and ask what they plan to do to uphold them. Try to get some of the neighbours on your side too: your case will be made much stronger if several residents complain together to the body corporate. If you get no action from the body corporate, then appeal to the owner directly. Unreasonable noise that causes disturbance (especially after hourse) and affects quality of life is illegal: you have the right to appeal to your local municipaility. You also have the right to call the police (you can ask to remain anonymous) if people are making a racket late at night or on weekends/public holidays.

2
Posted by: A | 2012/02/13

I also live in a complex but Body Corp members play loud music so it is no use complaining to them. From previous experience, police only warn but do not take action. How can this be stopped?

Reply to A
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2012/02/06

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert