Question
Posted by: Mandz | 2010/03/31

No where to turn

I am a childhood molestation survivor and it has been 22 years i thought i had put it in the past in a manner of speaking. it has distroid so much in my life. i cry at night wishing things where different but the past can''t be changed, i sometimes feel as though i have gone mad. i need so apeak to speak to someone who knows how to help me deal with my own life to help me put things back into context. i can''t let my family even know that i am seaking help. they think that i have delt with it and i need them to keep it that way.

Though we cannot change whatever happened in the past, we do not have to give it the power to continue to haunt and disturb our life. I'm not sure that it's necessary to keep further help-seeking a secret from your family, but that decision is of course up to you. I'm sure no sensible person could or would blame you for not being "over it" already, and they should only applaud you for seeking expert help.
I am cautious abou some therapists or counsellors who concentrate entirely on survivors of childhood abuse or molestation, because too often they have their own hobbyhorses to ride more than dealing with yours, and they too often use obsolete methods and assumtpions, including methods which have been authoritatively found to be useles or damaging.
But the good news is that any competent general counsellor or psychotherapist using modern and proven methods such as CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) would be able to help you to free yourself from these burdens from the past, and free you to enjoy the present and the future

1