Question
Posted by: Susan | 2010/03/05

no time to eat

HI there. I train my martial arts in the evenings and only get home at 9pm. This leaves very little time to eat, digest and go to sleep and I feel I am doing my body a disservice by eating too soon before bed. Can you reccomend anything other then a chemical packed meal replacement?

You should try to eat a healthy, light meal before your martial arts in the evening (or even late afternoon) so that you do not need to eat a full meal late at night. For example a small pasta salad with chopped up vegetables, tuna and a touch of pesto. You should try to eat up to an hour before exercise to avoid any stomach discomfort during exercise. Avoid high fat and high fibre meal before exercise as these slow down the rate of digestion and leave you feeling uncomfortable during exercise. If you are hungry when you get home at 9pm, you can have a piece of fruit, fat free yoghurt or low fat soup.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Dear Susan,

It is very important for your muscle recovery to eat/drink some food within a half an hour after your training. THis will ensure that your muscle fuel stores is filled up adequately for your next training session. THis meal should contain carbohydrate and protein and can be something like a yogi sip or chocolate steri stumpi (milo, nesquick will also work)! This provides your body with the correct amounts of carbohydrate and protein to recover.

You can then have a light meal before you go to bed - the guideline is usually to try to eat 1-2 hours before you go to bed.

It will also depend on the rest of your dietary intake during the day (do you have supper before training, do you take anything during training, do you have other training sessions during the day??)

A dietician specializing in sport nutrition can help you to plan your dietary intake to ensure adequate recovery and nutrients.

Good luck!
Kind regards,
Sunita

1
Posted by: Sports Nutrition | 2010/03/07

Dear Susan,

Good luck!
Kind regards,
Sunita

Reply to Sports Nutrition