Question
Posted by: SSF | 2011/04/28

No time for workout

I want to lose weight. However, I have absolutely no time for going to the gym, or even walking around the block. I know that I have to " make time" , but its basically impossible being a single mom and working full day (and doing the housework after hours!). Is it possible to lose weight with a diet effectively, without exercise?

Dear SSF
Yes, it is possible to lose weight effectively with an energy-reduced diet, without doing additional exercise. However, you may find that it will take longer to lose weight using a diet on its own. Exercise has also been found to help slimmers stick to their diets more readily than those that do not exercise. I fully understand that you, as a single, working Mom, probably don't have a moment of the day which you can call your own to do exercise. I would like to suggest that you consider skipping as a form of exercise that you can do at any time and anywhere without having to visit a gym or make any elaborate plans. You may find that you can skip for 10 min in the morning and 10 min a night, or for longer over weekends. Start very gradually and for short periods (even 5 min 2 x a day) and as you start feeling the benefits and get fitter, you could skip for longer and faster to increase how much energy you burn. Just a suggestion.

2
Posted by: Jojo | 2011/05/03

Getting a step which you can use in the lounge, in front of the tv, is an option (a skipping rope sometimes hits the light fittings or the children - my experience). Play some upbeat music and step up and down, adding some jumps, knee and arm lifts for 10 minutes morning and night. Add some 1,5 kg weights if you like. Get a supportive sports bra for skipping and stepping.

Reply to Jojo

Dear SSF