Posted by: Martie | 2009-01-19

No time for " myself" .

One is suppose to exercise and sleep enough to enjoy good health.
But one is also suppose to work to pay for the essentials of living.
If I get up at 5, leave for work at 6am, get home at 6:30pm, cook dinner, clean the house, do the laundry, (and there is a heck of a lot of cleaning in my house), then study, and get in bed at between 11 and 12pm, when am I going to fit exercise and sleep in?
Can you imagine society' s response if I maybe decide not to clean the house, of iron our clothes, as I needed my sleep, or I went for a jog? In the end everything will crash in around myself anyway and it will only be myself who will have to pick up the pieces. Cut my nose and spite my face.
To me exercising and sleeping enough is reserved for the rich and spoilt. For a middle-class woman struggling to survive it is a far-off dream, and represents the ultimate selfishness.
How I wish I had time for myself......... Now that sounds really selfish. I wonder on what planet those health guru' s live?
I guess this is a good example of the extremes of individualism in our society - this idea to put yourself first, and all the rest second. There has been recent critique that individualism is wrong, but I find that having been brought up in an individualistic society, I now find it very difficult and painful not to have time for myself, even though I understand that individualism may not be such a good idea. Sometimes I don' t even have time to go to the bathroom until 10pm.
Kind regards

If that timetable didn't tire you, then you'd be a rather strange person. Your message doesn't make it clear whether you live alone or within a family. If the latter, then why should you do all that work ? Others should do their share. If you live alone, why would there be so much cleaning and other work for you to do ?

Posted by: shame | 2009-01-19

Hi Martie. This all depends on what your priorities are. For you, it is studying and by this you might get a better paying job later. For others, it is exercising!! Maybe a solution to your problem (if you can call it this), is to get a helper. Therefore, you will not have to clean the house, do the laundry and cook which will free up a lot of time to sleep and be active. But it looks like you enjoy being a victim or maybe using it as an excuse not to lead an active lifestyle. Each to their own!!

Reply to shame