Question
Posted by: anthony | 2012-09-19

no starch diet

Please indicate what the side effects would be if i completely cut out starch from my diet. Not carbs, starch. I eat most vegies besides those with high to med starch levels and meats.

I have to do this because starch affects my ankilosing spondilitis desease.

I am scared about my diet. My heart rate has increases and i crave sweets.

Pleaae comment.

Dear Anthony
The suggested link between Klebsiella infection and ankylosing spondylitis (which would be improved by removing starch from the diet to "starve" the Klebsiella), has not been demonstrated with randomised, well-controlled scientific studies, so I cannot at this stage recommend the treatment to patients. Starch is a carbohydrate, and all carbohydrates are used by the human body as sources of energy. If you cut out all sources of starch which would include all grains, cereals, breads, baked goods, flours, porridges, most vegetables and legumes, then this could seriously affect your energy supply. The cravings for sweets may be indicative of the lack of starches and carbohydrates. If you find that your heart rate continues to be a problem, please consult a medical doctor because you may require treatment to reduce the heart rate again. Also please discuss this starch avoidance with the physician who is treating your ankylosing spondylitis.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-09-20

Dear Anthony