Question
Posted by: maggie | 2008/09/01

no semen

Good Day,
My husband is a diebetic and I would like to know if it is normal for my husband to have no semen? We want to have children but are a bit unsure what to do
thank you.

Dear Maggie

The probable cause may well be retrograde ejaculation or total ejaculatory failure. The situation is best assessed by an urologist. In the case of retrograde ejaculation, fertility treatment is certainly possible and semen can be obtained via the bladder. In extreme difficult cases, sperm may be obtained directly from the testes, by means of a testicular biopsy or aspirate and this can be used in a fertility treatment program.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim