Question
Posted by: almostmad | 2011/09/19

no self worth-so down-i cant function

Hi, I feel so miserable. I have suffered from anxiety and depression all my life. i sometimes feel so down, like today, where I find it hard to function. I used to have episodes where i used to just not talk to anyone for weeks, but now being older and having a full time job I cant just switch off anymore as ther there is too much at stake in terms of my job. how can i live like this, how can i carry on with life functioning every day? I take cilift but no medication can be a miracle cure. i feel switched off, like my mind doesnt want to function and my body is the same. I feel miserable. feel worthless like I am no good, and pathetic.

Some of us do : unfortunate, but controllable and bearable.
Yes, medication on its own isn't a miracle cure. But if there is a genuine chemical depression,it can help greatly to relieve symptoms. But I believe that proper counselling is ALWAYS beneficial and helps to work on ways to cope better with mood changes, and to solve life problems better, and to give up the hectically negative habits of thought that are such a part of depression. THAT can be transforming.
Look at how perfectly you illustrate my point about "negative habits of thought" when you put on your Judge's wig, and pronounce yourself "worthless, no good and pathetic" Work on those bad habits, and your depression could become much more manageable.
And of course, as Angel illustrates, when one surrenders to the depression, sitting alone in a gloomy place, even cheerful folks would feel miserable - one is actually making the situation worse. Getting involved in liofe, activities, and with other people AS THOUGH one were less depressed, actually improves one's depression.

4
Posted by: Been there | 2011/09/19

I have been on Cilift for 8 years and still managed to go through terrible " cycles"  when I withdraw, feel worthless, suicidal, lethargic, forgetful, etc etc. Finally went to see a psychiatrist who said Cilift is not a good generic (don''t shoot me down anyone). He has put me onto Epitec and Lexamil and I can''t believe the difference. From walking around in a fog for years, thinking I am doing the best there is possible on Cilift... there is a better alternative if Cilift is not working for you. Don''t see a GP, rather see a psychiatrist. If you are on med aid, then they will pay it through chronic.

Reply to Been there
Posted by: Liza | 2011/09/19

If you''re feeling like this, it means Cilift is not working out for you. If a GP prescribed the Cilift, go see a specialist psychiatrist so that different medication routes can be considered. You might also want to see a psychologist to work on your self-esteem issues as well as CBT-style therapy to help you manage your anxiety better.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Angel | 2011/09/19

know how you feel- I used to sit in my room the whole day after school and on the weekend- I never really ate, I didn’ t talk to anyone, I was in a very dark place. I know what you mean that you can’ t hide anymore now that you have a job- I feel the same! I’ m not on any medication so can’ t help you there. I myself am down today, I feel stupid and ugly and like a waste. But you know, there is always someone who’ s worse off than me and as terrible it is to think, I am glad that they have their problems and not me. I ran into an ex neighbor over the weekend and she is not doing well at all. Nasty, but I am glad I am me and not her. My father once said everyone on this earth has worth- in a clock every single pice, no matter how small, is needed to make the clock work. That’ s one of my motto’ s- I may not be out there saving lives, but I do have my place… 

Reply to Angel