Posted by: Alicia | 2011-11-30

No results

Hi Doc,

I go to the gym about 3 times a week. I do three sets of each exercise, and 12-15 reps per set, as my goal is to tone.

I do not seem to get results however??
I am not doing the exercises wrong, as I have a degree in sport science.

would you suggest that I take a supplement of some kind?
Or maybe switching to muscle building instead of toning?

thank you.

HI Alicia

So there are a few possible reasons. When someone is looking at toning, they need to combine a reduction in body fat and an increase in lean muscle mass. So there are two complimentary things that need to happen there, and many times people do only one of them. So of course you need to consider some cardio.

Then in terms of what you do with the weights, an increase in the weight might help a little, even if it's just for variety and to get stronger. So you're doing 12 to 15 reps per set, I'd say increase the weight and then aim to do 8 to 12 reps per set. Not every day, maybe half your days, while the other half remain the same. Heavier weight, as you'll know, does shift the focus and perhaps accelerate your lean mass increase.

But ultimately, toning is a high volume thing - that's why cyclists have such toned and defined legs, because they're doing thousands and thousands of contractions, at fairly low intensity. So the combination of the heavier stuff to get the lean mass, and the high volume training is the right way, but it does really take time to achieve.

I don't think a supplement, because the danger is that you just increase the energy intake and start to store fat. And as i say, the goal is to reduce fat percentage in order to tone. So it's just about ramping up the training, tweaking here and there, and getting the diet and cardio to support it. And it takes time, so be patient!