Question
Posted by: Jonathon | 2008/10/15

No Results

I turn 30 3 months ago and looking through some old pics with friends realised how much weight i ve on over the past 3 years. I decided about month ago to stop smoking, drinking and start watching my diet and also to start exercising. At that stage i weighted 101, my BMI was 29 and my stomach is quite big. In fact it' s fair to say that most of my weight sits in my stomach.

I ve structured my meals in 5 meals a day:

Breakfast: Cereal or toast with cheese
10:30: Yougurt and sometimes with an apple
Lunch : sandwitch (tuna, cheese, chicken) and an apple
16:00: Apple
18:30: Chicken or fish (weekends red meat)
Drink between 3 to 5 litres of water per day and about 5 cups of tea a day and have had no alcohol for about 35 days

Also i hit the gym 5 times a week for 45 mins. I am lucky as we have a gym facility at work. In that 45mins i try to burn between 350 to 500 calories by running on the treadmill. The speed is about 7km/h.

I weighted myself this morning and was a bit dissapointed that i had only lost 2 kg. I was expecting a bit more than that , between 4 &  5. One of the guys at the gym told me it could be that i ve build some muscle in the process or that genetics plays a huge part or the intensity of my gym programme or reassessing my eating plan.

I ve never been as dedicated like this before i do not want to give up but this morning was a real kick to the motivation.

Where am i going wrong?

Jono

Dear Jono
I am glad to hear that you have decided to change your entire lifestyle for the better. You say that it took 3 years for you to gain the weight that is burdening you now, yet you except to lose it within a short while. A loss of 2 kg in a month is excellent - slow and steady is what you are looking for instead of fad diets that cause rapid weightloss and just as rapid weight regain. There are also a number of other factors that can play a role. For example drinking 5 litres of water plus 1,25 litres of tea a day (total 6,25 litres), is 3.75 litres too much. Excessive water intake leads to electrolyte imbalances (loss of vital minerals like potassium, sodium, magnesium and even calcium through urination) which can paradoxically cause water retention which will make you weigh more. So please stop drinking so much water. Adults need 2,5 litres of liquid a day in TOTAL. The the stopping smoking may temporarily slow down weightloss, but this will pass as you continue to exercise. Your friend is correct that you may be building muscle tissue that ironically weighs more than fat tissue, so give yourself a chance to get into this programme and lost weight steadily.
Do not give up!

3
Posted by: Jonathon | 2008/10/16

Hi Doc/ CJ

Thanks for the advise. I will definitely stop drinking so much water. I will stick to about 2 litres of water a day and cut down on tea.

I let you know my progress in a month or so.

Cheers and thanks once again

Reply to Jonathon
Posted by: PJ | 2008/10/15

CUT DOWN YOUR WATER INTAKE , ITS TOO MUCH , U ONLY NEED 2 LITRES OF LIQUID PER DAY INCLUDING TEA .

Reply to PJ
Posted by: pj | 2008/10/15

Ag shame Jonny , DONT GIVE UP OK .the reason u not losing so much weight its because your body is going through changes . I also almost gave up when I wasnt losing weight n I was running 5 times a week .I started losing a lot of weight after 3 months of running , give it time .now I lost 12 kg so far n I feel GREAT .keep on keeping on , u dont wanna give up , I PROMISE .

Reply to pj