Question
Posted by: Lyn1 | 2008/10/06

No reply to written grievance submitted

Hi, I work for a large JSE listed company and I have a written grievance which I handed to my Manager three days ago. I have had no response from either my Manager or the HR Department. At the end of the 3 days I contacted the HR Department to request how many days my manager has to respond. Their response was that I have been unfair in submitting a grievance and that I must revert back to my Manager. My Manager, at this stage, is not speaking to me. Please can you give me a brief overview of how a grievance procedure should progress, from beginning to the point of giong to the CCMA, ie how many days to wait, and what steps I should follow to try to get my company to respond. Many thanks for your excellent website.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

if you have not had a reply for your manager you can escalate the grievance to the next level up. You should get of a copy of the grievance procedure and you will see that there are normally three to four levels.