Question
Posted by: Tk | 2011-11-23

no red meat

I am a 45 yr old woman who exercises 6 days a week. Speedwalk/run on 4 of those and treadmill 6 of those. I do not eat red meat, only chicken occasionally and vegetarian food on others. I eat a lot of veggies and low GI bread(2 slices) and herbal teas and only 2 coffies a day. I have hypertension and am on medication. I weigh 52.5kg and am 1.61m. I am wondering if lack of red meat is causing me to feel very tired and lacking in energy the last month. I get light headed and dizzy. Sometimes just sitting can make me almost fall asleep on the spot, My BP is 94/62 (it used to be average 137/74) and my pulse is average 74. I am taking Vital over 45.

Dear TK
The symptoms of light headedness, dizziness and exhaustion can be caused by a variety of factors including low blood pressure(!) and iron- or vitamin B12-deficiency among others. In addition your diet may not be adequate in energy to support the amount of exercise you do. Your BMI - 20,2 which is in the low normal range. I would recommend that you have a full medical examination so that the doctor can check your blood pressure which appears to be rather low, and your body iron and vit B12 levels. If you should be suffering from low bp then the dr will adjust your medication and if you have low iron or vit B12 levels the dr will prescribe additional supplements.
So please do see your doctor ASAP

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-11-23

Dear TK
So please do see your doctor ASAP