Question

No real treatment received...

I''d like to know if somebody goes through a traumatic event as a child and does not receive the right therapy and treatment at the time, how does this affect the rest of their lives in general. I understand that different people react differently but what are the key problems that can be identified if somebody is not helped after sexual abuse.

It depends on the traumatic event, the personality of the child, how family and others around him/her responded to the event, and so on. And similarly for specifically sexual abuse. No particular problems are inevitable, and some kids seem to cope with it surprisingly well ; others remain significantly bothered by it, and benefit from therapy afterwards- even as adults, if they're still bothered by it. Too many checklists are published on the web suggesting particular symptoms are so common as to establish that there must have been abuse, and this is inaccurate.
For me, the more useful criterion would be - are you, for whatever reason, unhappy and troubled right now, in any way, and to the extent that it interferes with your freedom to enjoy life, work, sex and relaionships ? If so, seeing a psychologist for an assessment and potentially CBt style psychotherapy would be a good idea

1