Question
Posted by: Kate | 2008/10/15

No real diagnosis - any ideas welcome

My 3 year old Jack was off colour a month ago - took him into the vet and he was hospitalised for 4 days and treated for pancreatitis and a bleeding ulcer.
His symptoms are - high temp, bloody stool, nausea and tender tummy.
Did x-rays, blood work etc etc
I then sent him to a homeopath (she is a vet) and took him off his pellets and now feed him boiled chicken and sweet potato.
Then on sunday morning he seemed off colour again so I took him into the vet immediately, he was given ulsanic, clopamin, tralgesic (sp) and sent home.
At lunch time he passed a bloody stool, fresh looking blood and very " globby"  (runny).
I then rushed him off to the emergency vet where he was placed on a drip and more meds given.
Monday off to my vet and tuesday he was referred to Westville for an ultra sound, scope and more blood tests.
His white cell count is a little elevated, nothing out of the ordinary on the ultrsound or scope.
He is still in hospital and I am hoping to take him home tonight.

The next step is to put him on a seriously restricted diet (z/d) and wait for the biopsy report.

I am at a total loss, everyone is racking their brains to figure out what is wrong with my guy and yet no postive diagnosis can be given.

I know I am grasping at straws but if anyone has any ideas that I can put forward to my vet it would be most appreciated.

Kate &  Basher

Dear Kate

After all those tests and opinions I am unable to give you any light at the end of the tunnel. My psychic strenght is running a bit low. Too many kids and no lover.

3
Posted by: enid | 2008/10/17

don' t want to scare you but my dog' s lymphoma started like this

Reply to enid
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/15

See what the cybervet says - but is it perhaps time for a specialist vet? The key, as you' ve identified, is a proper diagnosis - after that, you' ll know what you' re dealing with.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Natasha | 2008/10/15

Hey Kate
I am sorry Basher is not too well. I hope he gets fixed up soon.
Sorry I can' t give any decent ideas, but just wanted to say you are both in my thoughts.
Hugs to Basher.

Reply to Natasha