Posted by: CN | 2009-08-13

No period and no pregnancy

I posted earlier that I waso n day 35 of my cycle and on fertimed (4th cycle) and no signs of pregnancy. Previous cycles I have ovulated and my cycles varied between 32 - 35 days. I have done a blood pregnancy test on day 41 which came back negative with a progesterone count of 25. Today is day 43 of my cycle and still no sign of my period. What can this be? Does it mean I did not ovulate this cycle? My gynae said i should wait until my period start and then proceed with the fertimed on day 3 as presecribed (100mg for 7 days).

Dear CN

The simplest explanation would be a persistent corpus luteal cyst, which is a cyst, formed after ovulation and in the absence of pregnancy this is to be regarded as abnormal. It commonly happens in patients who are on ovulations induction agents such as Fertomid. Bleeding would normally follow once the corpus luteum spontaneously regresses but should there be an urgent need to induce a period this can easily be done by using a short course of hormone treatment for 5 days.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim