Posted by: Slightly concerned | 2010-05-31

No period after giving birth

Dear Doc
Since I can remember I had irregluar periods, and when it actually kept to a pattern, it was a 35 day cycle, with period lasting for 2-3 days. Last year I fell pregnant but didn''t even suspect it because I''m used to being late! My baby boy was born 23/11/09 (normal birth), and I had the ''after birth period'' around 20 Dec. Since then, I haven''t had a period again. I went for the 6 week check-up in Jan, but according to my gyni everything was fine. Should I be worried?

If you are breastfeeding, it is normal not to have periods. If not, it may be that the írregular periods are back.

Posted by: Slightly concerned | 2010-06-02

Dear Purple &  Zama
Thank you for your replies. However, I discontinued taking Eglonyl end of March, &  stopped expressing end of March (baby won''t drink on me). I''m also not taking a Pill. Should I test for pregnancy, as I had some short occasional but not regular waves of dizziness &  nauseousness...

Reply to Slightly concerned
Posted by: Zama | 2010-06-02

Hi Slightly concerned, no need to worry. Purple is right. I gave birth on 2 Nov 2009 and I my period has not yet returned. Baby is 7 months today. I breastfeed her in the mornings before going to work, after work and we cosleep to give her access to breastmilk during the night and during the day I express.

Baby has been on solids for a month now. So I''m waiting to see whether my cycle will return.

Some women''s preiod actually only returns once they completely stopped breastfeeding.

Reply to Zama
Posted by: Purple | 2010-06-01

If you are breastfeeding, you might not have your period again until your baby is on solids for a month or two, as breastfeeding supresses ovulation (not reliably enough to use it as a contraceptive though).

If you are on Microval youmight also not have your period, though some people seem to have a period every 3 weeks on it.

Reply to Purple