Question
Posted by: HONEYBEE | 2008-11-02

NO OVERTIME JUST A FLAT RATE

Some advice please. I work from 8 in the morning until about 7 at night and don'  t get paid overtime after my 9 hours during the week I also work 2 weekends on (Saturday and Sunday) a month and the weekends that I work both a Saturday and Sunday (7 straight days) I am allowed to take a day off during the week. I cannot choose which day, the company normally dictates which and that is also only if they can spare me. I only get paid R250 per day, irrespective if it is a Saturday or a Sunday. I only am allowed to leave once all the sales people have left and that is about 7pm or so. This goes for all the employees in the company. The company gives us a simple meal at lunchtime so that we will not take a lunch. Please tell me if our company if allowed to do this. Is it legal to pay people this flat rate over a weekend and no overtime during the week? Would we have a case with the CCMA?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

If one is earning below the threshold i.e. less than R150 000.00 per year then one is entitled to overtime.