Question
Posted by: Janet | 2012/03/06

No Nasal bone on the 13 week fetal scan

I went for my 13 week scan and everything was fine, blood work, fluid behind the neck (2.7), heart, placenta, brain, bowls, lenght of leg bones etc. The technician could not however see a nasal bone and hence my risk for Down Syndrome was high i.e. 1 in 92. I''m 34 years old. The lack of a nasal bone on the scan is really stressing me out, and I''m wishing I''d never gone for the test as I''m being pushed to do an amnio. Can you please advise on the importance of the nasal bone on the 13 week test if all other DS markers are not present. I just feel that going for these test are forcing women to decide who is worthy of contributing to the gen pool.

An absent nasal bone is an important marker for Down syndrome. Your risk of having a baby with Down syndrome is 1 in 92.That means that of 92 women one will have a Downs baby and the other 91 will have normal babies. This test is done for your information. The decision to have an amnio or to have a baby with Down syndrome is entirely your choice. No-one can force you to do anything.

2
Posted by: Gina | 2012/03/09

Please don''t let anyone make you believe that an amnio is compulsory...it''s totally up to you and the question you should ask...is why do you want to do it? If it comes back positive for downs would you end the pregnancy or is it just for peace of mind? Once you know that in your own head, you can make your own decisions. I think many women, especially women over 34/35 believe that they HAVE to have an amnio. Why?? They dont. Its such an individual decision. We had markers picked up at the 20 week scan and opted not to do the amnio. There are risks associated with it and we weren''t prepared to take the risk just for the sake of knowing. It''s up to YOU!

Reply to Gina