Question
Posted by: Hmpf | 2008/09/04

No motivation

I have a serious " attitude"  problem and I don' t know how to rectify it.

I am a young female with a world of prospects at my fingertips. I started my career with one of the top banks by being recruited to join their graduate programme. I made a great impression and was promoted within a few months to actually run the programme myself - at the tender age of 20. I then went on to be recruited into the top beverage company in SA to run their programme. My problem does not lie in my ability to make a good impression and put myslef across successfully, it lies in the fact that I am just not motivated to get my job done! I' ve been working since 2005 (finished studying in 2004) and my attitude has been this way from the beginning. It really bugs me, but I still continue to do it. I am constantly thinking about changing my career and really battle to just put my head down and do my job properly. I keep leaning towards the prospect of becomming a Pilates instructor, but everyone I speak to says I would be selling myself short. Everyone seems to believe that I am very competent and good at what I do (outsiders)... But it' s the same pattern over and over again with me being able to get on the bad side of my boss. I just don' t know what it is about me. Because I started my career so young (now 24), I' ve been able to get myself to an incredible salary with incredible benefits and I am worried that if I fulfil my desire to become a Pilates instructor, I will battle to make ends meet from month to month.
Do you have any advice/explanation about my " condition" ?
Thank you, sincerely.

Sounds like you may have been too successful, too easily. Frankly, though it may be grand for the person getting such easy promotion, its almost irresponsible to promote a 20-year-old so easily to run a program --- nomatter how brilliant you may be in some ways, you are obviously lacking in experience --- of that job, of the industry your work in and its needs, and so on. And then recruited by another company, perhaps before truly proving yourself in the first job ?
There can be mno doubt that you are expert at putting yourself across and must be brilliant in interviews. But that is FAR from being enough to be actually good at doing the job itself. How could you feel motivated to do the job when you didn't actually have to work your way up and earn it, but got it handed to you on a plate ? And now you think of changing career ? Great value you gave to those who thought so much of you, and were foolish enough to rely on a stunning interview rathwer than consistent good performance.
Don't rely too much on the praise of others ( who may expect that to benefit them )
Than again, in love affairs and jobs, there are people who enjoy the thrill and challenge of the hunt, but rapidly lose interest with their prey once they have it in their grasp.
As Coco says, dont do as too many do, and exaggerate how happy you will be in any other post such as Pilates Instructer, or how long you would be happy in it, or what other choices you would have if that course failed. Try doing it on weekends, to see how it goes.

1
Posted by: Coco | 2008/09/04

Hi There

I so get how u feeling as I' m basically in the same position. I think it all comes down to the need for personal fullfilment and actually feeling happy( a human desire). I also felt in my career that I wouln' t mind to become a professional hip hop dancer( i' m also in the investment environment). A tip of advice, dont quit your job, rather decide to do pilates on weekends as a hobby. U will battle making ends meet so u' ll have extra stress.,we live in a realistic world of rent, and a lot of other expenses. Just realise that you can actually be both, a great worker as well as great pilate instructor. Go on a Pilates course and maybe ask a gym whether u can teach in the evening.

Never limit yourself when u yourself sed there' s a world of prospects on your fingertips

Hope my msg was of help

Reply to Coco