Question
Posted by: Desire | 2012/01/24

No milk, BUT CHEESE :)

Hi there. I have never drank milk my entire life. my mom tried everything in her power when i was a baby but i just wouldn’ t drink it, so she raised me on rooibos tea. I hate milk, and i can be very honest to say that i have never had a glass of milk in my whole life. it makes me want to throw up, i hate the taste. i will have milk in porridge when and if i have porridge but this is few and far between. i have also tried to source calcium tablets that are smaller in size, as the ones you get are so big(i struggle to swallow big pills)but i can’ t find any. One thing i do love is cheese. its something i eat every day, and cannot do without! but what i want to know is, how much cheese is " ok"  in a day to get the calcium i need? i am pregnant with my third child at the moment and always take pregnancy vitamins during pregnancy, but i am still worried that i am not getting enough calcium and fear osteoporosis... Please could you give me some advice? Ps, the calcium content in my preg vit is 150mg

Dear Desire
Please excuse me for only answering your question today, but my home and office were struck by lightning and my poor PC was literally 'fried'. My new PC was delivered this morning! Congratulations on your 3rd pregnancy. Cheese is an excellent source of readily available calcium providing about 700 mg of calcium per 100g, or 210 mg per 30g portion. To obtain the 1200 mg of calcium required per day during pregnancy and breastfeeding, you would need to have nearly 200g of cheese per day which would increase your intake of fat dramatically. Most cheeses, except fat-free cottage cheese, contain high levels of fat (for example Cheddar cheese contains 33 g of fat per 100g of which 21 g/100g is saturated fat). So while cheeses are excellent foods, it is advisable that you obtain your calcium from moderate portions of cheese, and use a calcium supplement such as Calcium Sandoz (which comes in an effervescent tablet), to provide the rest. If you use other calcium supplement such as Caltrate, etc, you can of course break them in half or chew the tablets before you swallow them. It seems that your pregnancy multivitamin and mineral supplement does not contain sufficient calcium for your daily needs, so please consider using a calcium supplement like Calcium Sandoz, Caltrate or MenaCal.7.
Wishing you all the best with your pregnancy.

1

Dear Desire