Posted by: sue | 2009-05-26

no medical aid

I have no medical aid how do i go about getting a diagnosis i live in nelspruit i have been told there is no pyshciatirst at the local hospital Ferreira hosp.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Sue

You may consider visiting your local clinic or general practitioner first to have a basic assessment done.

You can do a Mood Disorder Questionnaire (MDQ) - search for it in Google and you can then download the PDF document. If you answer yes to 7 or more of the 13 questions, yes to the question whether the symptoms occurred at the same time and it caused you significant distress, you may have bipolar disorder. Please note though that the MDQ is a gross screening tool only and cannot make a definite diagnosis. For this you must see a health practitioner.

To the best of my knowledge there is a psychiatrist at your hospital, but that person might have left. Have you contacted the hospital directly?

You may also ask for psychologists at your local clinic or hospital.

Good luck!