Posted by: Desperate | 2009-08-28

No increases

I' ve been working in the parts dept. of a motor dealership 21 yrs. My basic salary is only R4100 + the rest I must make up with commission. I usually get out between R5900 - R6100. As U can imagine we can' t make ends meet anymore. Last year + now this year again we got no increases. From 1999 for 3 consecutive years we also got none + now this again. Over the last 5 yrs I' ve had to cancel my insurance policies + if things go on like this I' ll end up having to sell my house because I can' t afford it anymore. We' ve spoken to the boss but he wants to know nothing. He says we can' t make him give increases because our basic salaries are more than the minimum laid down by the motor industry bargaining council ( they are). All he says is that the company can' t afford increases + if he gives increases then he will have to retrench people. He certainly has not downgraded his standard of living. Is there anything the staff can do? We are all desperate. My children are furious with the whole situation.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

The fact that you haven't received an increase is not a right. There is merely an interest to obtain an increase. Only if there is a Bargaining Council or a wage determination are you entitled to the increases as per the law.

Posted by: Boetie | 2009-09-02

It' s shocking but it does happen that staff are treated like this. The old answer that if increases must be given then the co. will have to retrench people is one of the most used (over used) + one of the most feeble excuses in business today. A decent boss wil be proud to say that he pays his staff good salaries + he will be proud to see them have a decent standard of living because it is a good advertisement for his business. Bosses who treat people the way your boss does are short sighted + just plain stupid. I don' t think much of his business brain either because he should know that as soon as his staff get something better he' s going to loose them. However, not much you can do about it.

Reply to Boetie
Posted by: Eve | 2009-08-30

What a miserable boss, he obviously feels nothing for people. My brother in law worked in firm like that + after 12 yrs he got something better. The strange thing is that within a year the firm lost all their old reliable staff + now 4 yrs later they are still struggling to get + keep decent, competent staff. When one thinks about it bosses like this have robbed their staff of thousands + thousands of rands over the years. Shame on them. I don' t think there is much that you can legally do about it They seem to forget though that the wheel does turn.

Reply to Eve