Question
Posted by: sambinoct | 2010/03/25

no increase ever, no benefits

is this legal?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: No increase ever, no benefits

Unfortunately you do not have a right to an increase merely an interest.

3
Posted by: Been there | 2010/04/03

Unfortunately these type of situations are a reality for some people. I worked for a miserable co. like that for 22 yrs. Many times during my stay there we received excuses + promises instead of increases. Some bosses couldn''t care less about the financial wellbeing of staff. I stayed with that co. about 15 yrs. too long. Result = I eventually had to calcell my insurance policies because I could no longer afford them. Now when I really need them there is nothing. When I took early pension the boss tried to tell me I may not work again. Utter hogwash. My advice to you is to get another job ASAP even if it means relocating. Some bosses use the current economic climate as an excuse not to give increases + bonuses. The employee has no rights here. Only thing is to get another job + let these miserable bosses go to h& mdash l. Good luck.

Reply to Been there
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2010/03/29

Re: No increase ever, no benefits

Reply to labour lawyer
Posted by: Purple | 2010/03/27

All you have to be given are the basic conditions of employment - which regulates working hours, overtime, leave, sick leave and so on.

If your contract guarantees you an increase then they should be giving you one. If it just says that your salary will be reviewed every year, then they only have to review it and not necessarily increase it.
No, you don''t have to be given pension, medical aid and other such benefits.

If you aren''t happy with the situation, speak to your manager or someone in your HR department (though if this is the state there I''d say that the hr department is probably fairly powerless), and if nothing is going to change, dust off your CV.

Reply to Purple