Posted by: Zanele | 2010-05-24

no help for tinnitus

After a series of tests which include blood, MRI and audiology i was told my tinnitus was caused by hearing loss in my left ear and there''s nothing that can be done for me.
I''m a 26 yr old female and my tinnitus has been progressing from mildly distracting to now very loud in the one ear all in a period of 2,5 yrs in the
left ear alone and the right one hears normally. I''m worried that i''ll end up completely deaf on the one side and that whatever caused it will also affect my hearing on the right side.
How can i improve my quality of life inspite the hearing loss and tinnitus and when is it serious enough for me to get help?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Zanele

Tinnitus is a very distracting problem best described as the hearing of sound without an external stimulus. In your case extensive testing seems to have been done in order to exclude a cause, especially against the background of an unilateral sensori-neural hearing loss. The MRI was most likely performed to exclude a possible growth affecting the hearing nerve.
You should ask your ENT to explain if any cause was found for the hearing loss, in order to try and prevent the same problem.
Regarding the tinnitus, no drugs have proved to be very succesfull in the long run. Some patients are finding relief with natural products, so please ask your doctor to advise. If a hearing aid was recommended, you could find relief from the tinnitus by trying that. Other than that, the following may help:
1. Avoid loud noise
2. Avoid complete silence (have background music on, etc.)
3. Avoid stimulants (eg. coffee in excess, alcohol, etc.)