Question
Posted by: Cricket Fan | 2011/03/26

No Guts

Do you know if there is anything like like mental strength(guts) that sportsmen have or develop to enable them to face up to a challenge in a positive determined fashion.

I believe that the Protea cricket team seriously lack this attribute given their shocking record of dismal failure when faced with a challenge when it really matters.Latest example being the dismal performance against New Zealand.

What goes on in their minds at these times. Do they simply lack self belief or are they being super arrogant ?

Hopefully there is a programme available to overcome this mental weakness they seem to suffer from and that the powers that be introduce it sooner than later with, hopefully a much changed team !!

There's no doubt that the Protea's choke in a way that other nation's cricket teams don't, and in a way that other SA national sports teams don't do. And this was not always so, but is a relatively recent problem.
Maybe I should look into this. What intrigues me is that whereas in the old days our teams did not show this conspicuous weakness, it has emerged when they have far more coaches, physios and sports psychologists at hand, as never before.
I don't think it's arrogance,
I doubt there's any existing program to deal with this - no other major team seems to suffer from it so consistently, and how could you evaluate such a proposed program without an ability to test and measure it's benefits in such a team ?
Denying that it exists, as the Proteas routinely do, is certainly no help at all.
And the team idn't play dismally against NZ - when bowling they did pretty well, and some batsmen were OK - it was the middle order that collapsed, as usual, and yet even then they nearly made it.

1

I don't think it's arrogance,