Posted by: Tired | 2009-01-09

No energy

I posted a question to the fitness doc about having no energy to exercise and he sggested that I may no be eating enough.

I have an office job and (at the moment) I am getting a maximum of 30 minutes of walking in my day. I would like to do more, but as I told him, I have no energy.

My typical eating plan goes as follows:

brekfast at about 07:40- normally cereal (wheatbix, cornflakes, all bran flakes) but sometimes toast with nothing but butter/margirine

I then eat again at about 10:00/11:00- normally a yoghurt or a fruit of some kind.
I walk home at 13:00 (uphill walk- about 11 minutes) for my lunch- normally toast/ two minutes noodles/ salad/sandwhich or whatever left- overs there are.
I walk back to work (it' s an 11 minutes downhill walk) and then I don' t eat until about 18:30/19:00. I walk home as well- about 10 mintes or occasionally 20 minutes when I try take a long route to get some exercise.

I don' t really snack and I find it hard to drink liquids. On a typical day I drink a cup of coffee in the morning, something when I' m on lunch (juice or coffee), some water wen I' m walking (I don' t usually finish a 500ml bottle during a whole day) and something when I' m eating supper- I think I drink about 4 glasses of liquids a day. I just don' t get thirsty.

Could that be the problem to my lack of energy?

Dear Tired
Wishing you all the best for 2009. I don't know if Fitness Doc suggested that you have a medical checkup to determine if you have an underlying condition that is making you feel so tired? but I am going to do so. If you by chance suffer from iron-deficiency anaemia or fibromyalgia or depression or some other deficiency it could explain why you are so tired. Your basic diet is also not really balanced. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-carb and fibre diet which you can use as an example to ensure that you are getting enough nutrients. You can eat more of the permitted foods because you do not need to lose weight. Your liquid intake is also rather low. Most Readers have to be cautioned not to drink too much, but in your case I would suggest that you try to ensure that you have at least 2 litres of liquid a day. Drink something in between meals and after supper. You can have milk, fruit juice, water, energy drinks, cold drinks, etc.
I do hope you can determine what is causing your tiredness.