Posted by: mark | 2012-01-20

no difference after using protein shake

Hi there,I recently started using a whey potein supplement,inorder to build some muscle(''''bulk up a bit'''').I am 2 weeks on the product and have added more proteins to my meals(ie.eggs and patatoes).It has been 2 weeks now and i dont see any growth in muscle development,can you tell why this is happening,as I am exercising 3hrs per wk?

Hi Mark

It won't happen because taking in protein alone doesn't stimulate muscle growth. It's only when you exercise that the protein is "told" to become additional muscle. Without the right exercise programme, in fact, all that will tend to happen, is that the body will store excess energy as fat.

So I'm not sure what you're doing exercise wise, obviously those three hours a week are important, but it's the focus on weight training, and also allowing it time. To build muscle is a 4 to 6 week process, just to START seeing gains. To see real change is many months of work, so perhaps this is also just an issue of time.

But the supplement is probably not the solution, the training is. And the diet (which would include supplementation) is merely part of the package, so I'd look at training, then diet (by which I mean food) and lastly, see if you do really still need the supplement.