Posted by: Ann | 2013-01-28

No control over gas emissions!

Dear Doc
Please help. In spite of having enough fibre in my diet, I spent most of 2012 being badly constipated. I have IBS-C and am a 55 year old female. I think the prolonged period of constipation has actually damaged my spincter muscle so that I can no longer control the expulsion of gas, and it is almost always audible. Indeed, trying to control it sometimes makes it ''pop'' out, and then it is even more audible.

Can you suggest anything to help me at this stage? Are there the equivalent of Kegel exercises I can do? Is there a specific kind of doctor who could help me? I now live my life in embarrassment and shame, and fear being around people.

Thank you very much.

I don't have any real treatment suggestions and I therefore suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist. A fibre diet does, however, cause excessive flatulence.