Question
Posted by: Nomsa | 2010/04/14

No confidence

I grew up in a rural village, didin''t go to the so called " model C schools" . When growing up my mother used to compare me to other kids and that whatever i did was not good enough for her and as a result i grew up shy with no confidence at all and i''m still struggling with that. Where i work is an open plan and i''m always cautious that they are listening to my conversations, as a result i''m not confident enough to do my work especially when i have to make calls because i don''t speak english like they do , they went to these model c schools. what can i do? please help

Hi Nomsa.
Remmber, many very excellent people went to poor schools, and many really rotten people went to good schools. Your employer apparently thinks well of you, to give you such a job and trust you with it. Is there an HR person or dept you could discuss this with ? The company many be able to send you on some courses to improve your confidence and may improve whatever areas you think you may not be so strong in. And if you want to improve your manner of speaking English, read good English newspapers and magazine, and listen to good English on Tv and radio.

4
Posted by: Happiness | 2010/04/14

Fluently speaking english does not equal intelligence period. The same goes for wearing expensive clothes.

Reply to Happiness
Posted by: Whena | 2010/04/14

The fact that your employer chose you to do the same work as the colleagues who went to the Model C must tell you that you are as good as what they are

Reply to Whena
Posted by: JP | 2010/04/14

Be yourself i am like i didnt go to those school. I just be who am i am . No one can stop just believe in yourself. U will succed

Reply to JP

Hi Nomsa.