Question
Posted by: Mnini | 2011-05-30

No company policy or contract

Is it normal for a company to not believe in issueing their employees with contracts, and also to have no policy or procedure document?

My company doesn''t believe in policies, and " goes with the flow" . There is no discipline procedure, and discipline is very rarely enforced - however a lot of things are frowned upon?

Nobody has a contract in place, yet we are quite a reputable company! What happens if I do something wrong that warrants discipline? What happens if I want to resign, will a notice period apply? What if somebody else is committing fraudulant activity, how will this be dealth with? Why do I get into trouble for something that another employee on the same level as me is allowed to get away with? I am confused as my previous employer was very strict!!! I am not sure if I should be relieved about this carelss attitude, or if the uncertainty and lack of structure should scare me?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: NO COMPANY POLICY OR CONTRACT

Everyone by law should have a letter of an appointment. This does not mean that everyone has to have a contract of employment and nor does it mean that the company has to have policies. Disciplinary procedures are sometimes lacking in companies but in essence schedule 8 of the Labour Relations Act is what takes precedence.

1
Posted by: JT | 2011-06-02

Concerning not having any diciplinary policies in place, as the employee you are in no danger  but the company can get in serious trouble in a ccma situation as they will struggle to prove that any rules are broken.

Concerning not having an emplyment contract, this is against the law and I suggest you aproach the department of labour.

Reply to JT