Question
Posted by: Curious | 2012/02/27

No carbs

Hi Doc,

I recently read an article (YOU mnagazine) by Prof Tim Noakes promoting a carb free diet.

What is your take on this? Is this sustainable? Would you advise this to diabetics?

Thank you.

Dear Curious
I have also read a number of articles based on Prof Tim Noakes' new approach. As a dietitian, I am not in favour of any diets that cut out whole food groups. A carb-free diet can lead to deficiencies and increase the risk of heart disease. Diabetics should consult a registered dietitian for an individual diet prescription and Not start using a high-protein diet which can lead to exposure to high levels of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol.
My DietDoc Topic for this week also touches on this subject.

3
Posted by: Marinda | 2012/03/01

hi, i have been on a high protein diet for 4 months and i have lost 20 kg. i still eat carbs but very little.

Reply to Marinda

Dear Curious

Posted by: Stacey | 2012/02/27

I read his full article and Tim Noakes talkes about carb resist and non carb resist people , for some reason the magazines have decided to only focus on carb resistant. I presonally cut back drastically on carbs and i didnt really have a result ( i normally follow a healthy diet very healthy and i exercide reg) I didnt exercide as much and i introduced carbs into my diet and i have had amazing results ( balanced diet and have maintained the weight loass for over a yr now), when i refer to carbs i mean whole grains . hope this helps

Reply to Stacey