Question
Posted by: Tanya | 2012/01/25

No calcium diet

My mom has found out she is not allowed to have any food with calcium in it. Is there a list that will assist us in helping her not to take calciu,?

Dear Tanya
The foods with the highest readily available calcium content are: milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and all other types of cheese. So if your dear Mom avoids all milk and dairy products this should reduce her calcium intake a great deal. She should also check all food labels carefully to see if they contain any added calcium. For example, soy milk which is used to replace cow's milk is often fortified with calcium and would not be suitable for her.
I trust that your Mom is under the care of a physician because unless she has a medical condition that makes it dangerous for her to ingest calcium, long-term avoidance of calicum-rich foods can lead to conditions such as osteoporosis.

1

Dear Tanya