Posted by: Des | 2012-08-24

No air in my office

HI there. I really need some help or advice please. I am at my wits end with my office situation at work. I sit directly under one of the aircons here. My cubicle is small and the partitions are high. We have standard settings for the aircons but no one adheres to these settings and they get fiddled with constantly. We also have alot of people squashed into this floor space and the original office layout has changed from when it was approved back in 1997.

My issue is that i am constantly ill. I have pounding headaches that get worse the longer i am here. I have had sinus issues for longer than i care to remember and i feel drowsy and have no energy when i am here. I don''t get much opportunity to go outside during the day as i usually end up working in my lunch times to get my job load down.

Many of my collegues have to deal with the same issues. I have spoken to my supervisor and my manager and even the building manager but they all say that they can''t keep everyone happy all the time. Some complain the aircons are too cold while others complain it''s too hot. Now i really do understand that but i can''t go on like this.

Who can i contact to come and test the air quality here?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

The symptoms you describe are not uncommon in office workers, and some people are especially sensitive to low levels of indoor air pollutants. Unfortunately, such levels usually don't show up on tests, which can be costly. There are various companies that offer air testing services (e.g. SGS If you can get enough support from colleagues then you may be able to persuade your employers to pay for the service.

The aircon must be serviced regularly - at least once a year, and that is definitely the responsibility of the company you work for.

Please try to take breaks and get out of the building at intervals - its been shown that even inner-city air is generally better than many indoor air environments.

More on aircon:,75022.asp

Posted by: Ibrahim | 2012-10-17

The only way to make your employer (Boss) to look into your problem is reporting it to the Department of Labour (anonymously) . As an employer he is responsible to provide a work place which is not harmful to your health.

Reply to Ibrahim
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2012-09-13

You might want to also post this question to our Workplace Health Expert.

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert