Posted by: Marita | 2009-06-25

Nissen operation

My husband had a Laparotomy Nissen operation 2 weeks ago and things really went wrong. His bp dropped first to 60/45 and then so low they could not register a bottom count. He received 5 units of blood and then suffered with his lungs too. He now uses home oxygen when needed and at night. His bp is now still 90/50 most days - is that normal? His wound is also draining a lot in one area and they first left 4 clips in, they will be removed tomorrow. How do we stop the draining or is it normal? The surgeon however booked him back at work in a week' s time.

Dear Marita
You should leave the draining to clear up in its own time - what is draining out? If it is a light clear yellow fluid this could be normal, but if it is yellow thick pus, he needs to see the doctor as soon as possible. His blood pressure is still very low and he needs to be re-evaluated by the doctor before he goes back to work. It sounds as if he lost a lot of blood during the operation

Posted by: Marita | 2009-06-26

Thanks Dr Bets. The fluid is green-yellow of colour and sometimes clear blood. He just notified me that our GP opened up a part of the wound again this morning, cleaned it and put stitches in. Maybe this would help.

Reply to Marita