Question
Posted by: Anna2000 | 2008/10/20

Nissen Operation

I had a nissen operation 19 months ago, and from day 3 I vomitted at least 3/4 times per week after eating. I have lost +/- 23 kg in the last 19 months, I am not complaining, was not really over weight, but very skinny now (1.7m tall, and 52 kg). I am still vomitting, but not when anything something specific. I went to numerous doctors and had another scope about 14 months ago, and tey streched someting, but it still didn' t work. I went to the last specialist 2 months ago, and he did some tests and couldn' t see anything wrong, but gave me some tablets and said that if it didn' t work after 1 month, he needs to redo the nissen, but I am so scared to go again, and why do I need to go again if there is apparently nothing wrong. I live in Gauteng, but the docotr is in Cape Town, as I cannot seem to get anythign fixed in Gauteng, I went to the doctor that did my moms nissen, he is brilliant. I just want to know if you can tell me if anything else could be wrong, as I am so scared that I will get really sick because of all the vommitting, and I have two kids (2 and 3) to think about as well. How dangerous is it to redo a nissen?

Thanks for all your help...

Dear Anna2000
What they do with a Nissan is to fold a flap of stomach around the top part of the stomach to help the upper valve close better - this can sometimes be too tight and cause difficulty in swallowing. You may also have a bit of gall reflux into the stomach. Try Maxolon one 3 times a day 15 min before eating, and using something like Gaviscon after eating - you will need a prescription.
Redoing a Nissan will be as dangerous as the first operation - if they can't see anything specifically wrong with the scope I wonder if this is really really necessary?