Question
Posted by: Nix | 2008/08/08

Nipple ring &  breastfeeding

I had my nipple pierced a few years ago, in the middle of my " you don' t understand me"  teenage years. I removed it after a few months, and have a small scar on either side of my nipple to show for it. My husband and I are considering starting a family, and I was wondering if / how my previous piercing could effect my ability to breast feed? I' m not sure if I' ve posted this to the right expert or not?

Nix

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Depending on where the piercing was, it is possible that damage was done to the ducts that deliver the milk through the nipple. Unfortunately, I am unable to predict what the outcome will be. If you are unable to breast feed, there are formula milk available and therefore, there is no reason for not having a bundle of joy.