Posted by: mom | 2009-01-26

Nighttime troubles

My kids are 4 and 6 yrs old. They share a room and only had their own bedroom for slightly less than a year. Our rooms are very close to each other ( few steps only) and we leave the hallway light on all night. Their room is small and not dark either.

The problem is everynight its so hard to put them to sleep. The minutes the lights goes out it' s like '  Mommy' older one esp wants to drink water a zillion times. They even ask me to come and sleep by them.

It' s really frustrating cause I do give them attention in the day- they are at home with me all day- I read a bedtime story and all, but they just want me around till they fall asleep. I feel horrible just leaving them to fall asleep on their own after they ask me to sleep by them. What should I do??

In the day they are ok and not clingy at all.

Watch Little Angels / Supernanny, and similar programmes on the BBC channels --- this is not insomnia, nor is it fear keeping them awake, but reluctance to go to sleep amd competing for your attention. And provide the one who keeps asking for a drink of water, with a large bucket of water and a cup, to help himself / herself.
The more you allow the children to dictate, the worse it is for them. Rules need to be drawn up, and kept to, as beauitifully illustrated in those programmes I couldn't advise anything better than the tech niques repeatedly shown and illustrated and explained in those programmes. If you donm't have DSTV access, consider getting it, or ask friends with such access to tape the shows for you. They have a great series of Parenting shows. I am presently in contact with them asking whether any of these can be made available here in DVD format or book form, and will let the forum know if I discover a realistic possibility of this sort

Posted by: mom | 2009-01-26

Hi Mommy

Sometimes I do sleep next to them...but my two year old still sleeps in our room and wouldnt sleep with only daddy. If I bring him over to their room when I lay next to them he creates havoc lol.

Reply to mom
Posted by: Mommy | 2009-01-26

My children do the same, I go and snuggle up with them, one in each arm until they fall aSLEEP. This may be wrong, but I enjoy doing this for them.

Reply to Mommy