Question
Posted by: sugar | 2008-12-15

Nightmares / night terrors

For the past year or so I' ve been having occasional nightmares.
Most of them are nearly normal dreams with an odd tinge of fear &  anxiety. Recently I dreamt women were being persecuted. I had to jump off a high cliff into deep water. I’ m not afraid of the ocean in real life, but dreaming about deep water is one of the most frightening things I experience.

The other nightmares more resemble night terrors. It’ s only a snippet of a few seconds and sometimes just a single image. The last one was a young man crouching by the corner of a wall. He turned his head to face me &  was beheaded moments later. I could draw the man’ s face afterwards if I had to. The ‘ terrors’  are always like that –  short, but immensely detailed. I wake up scared out of my wits &  sleep fitfully or not at all afterwards. More often than not it is men that die, and someone always dies. I find these dreams deeply distressing and I would really like them to stop.

They don' t seem to be directly related to stress, as I get them even when I' m not under pressure. The longer dreams stretch through the night and I have difficulty waking up from them, but the terrors are always very soon after I fall asleep and I' m able to wake myself up as soon as they' re over.

What can I do to stop or control these nightmares? I often fear going to sleep because of them and cannot get the images out of my head for days after. I am nearing my wits end.

Nightamres are horrific --- otherwise we wouldn't consider them to be nightmares. Everyone has bad dreams at times, they're among the rich, largely meaningless content of dreams. Maybe more common when one is either under stress, or if one has watched a nasty video lately. Taking them very seriously probably makes them more likely to recur. When you are woken by them, identify them firmly as "Bad Dream" and Not reality, and discard them mentally, as though they were a used paper hankie

5
Posted by: radical | 2008-12-15

Sugar, I' m taking a stab here but do you maybe have something in your home that might be ' demonistic' ?
Sounds strange I know, but I' m sure you' ll try almost anything to stop these horrific nightmares.
Maybe something you bought / received as a gift around the time these terrors started.
Persoanlly I would also maybe listen to motivational recordings at night when I sleep. Maybe this helps to have positive messages infiltrate your subconcious and not the nightmares.
I hope you manage to get rid of these nightmares. They sound horrific!
All the best.

Reply to radical
Posted by: ? | 2008-12-15

everybody has such dreams. I think the only thing to do is to accept that it' s only a dream, and not real. You just have to keep telling yourself that. Eventually you will get used to the idea and be more accepting of the dreams.

Just keep telling yourself...it' s just a dream.

Reply to ?
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008-12-15

Concentrate.....

Reply to Zexeon
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008-12-15

Would consentrate on my spelling eg. throat, ignore,altogether, ect.

Reply to Zexeon
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008-12-15

I also had sort of the same dreams like the freaky one a long time ago were.........then we were chased by this people and we ran past this swimming pool and I was catching my breath and looking around to see if we were still followed and the child just wants to swim but I .... so the the cellphone got knocked into the pool and the this man grabs the child with a knife to it froat ...and then he slid the child' s troat and throw him in the pool then the boy changes into a dog and I got it outof the water ans shouts at the boy to get a vet ......... and I take the boy to a place were he would be save and then wake as I' m being chased and wake as they gain on me.

There is thing'  lusive'  or something dreaming were you could control the outcome of the dream or you could try to take your dream and try to attach some of the events to whats happening in your live but might not explain the whole dream cause somimes it could just be fears, hopes ect. like being bitten by a snake ect or ...............or just ignoe the dreams all together and think nice thing till you fall asleep again.

Reply to Zexeon