Question
Posted by: NH | 2012-11-24

Nightmares

Any advice cybershrink...
Our son currently six years old has been having nightmares the last few night snd seem really clingy. We have a close bond, but I cant seem to get to the bottom of this. How do I go about this? How dkAny advice cybershrink...
Our son currently six years old has been having nightmares the last few night snd seem really clingy. We have a close bond, but I cant seem to get to the bottom of this. How do I go about this? How dko I really find out what is bothering him?How do I really find out what is bothering him?

Clingy may just be a natural response to the nightmares. If you have a good bond and chatting with him reveals nothing really bothering him at present, that's probably accurate. Nightmares can be related to exposure to frightening films and TV, stories told by other kids, even news items. Getting too alarmed by his nightmares, and enquiring too energetically, may be more disturbing, rather than less. Make it clear to him that you'd always like him to talk to you about ANYTHING that is concerning him, at school, in life in general, or things he reads, sees or hears, is a good safeguard, to encourage him to approach you if any such disturbance arises.
Meanwhile, provide for a nice cooling-off, unwinding period before he goes to bed, maybe reading calming and amusing rather than very dramatic stories, a warm milky drink, and loads of re-assurance.

1
Posted by: Kelly | 2012-11-24

Has he been watching any movies perhaps? Playing games, playstation... Even kiddy games and movie with lots of action in them could give them nightmares. Maybe play fighting with his friends too. I remember when I was that age and I watched any movie I would get nightmares the night or even I f I was very active just before going to sleep it would happen.

Maybe try reading him a good, calming story before he goeS to sleep? Some hot milk too.

Reply to Kelly