Question
Posted by: Sensible | 2011/08/30

Nightmares

Hello Prof, I would just like know if there are people who are naturally prone to nightmares and versions (which come true in most cases). I would be lucky if two weeks go by peacefully, without a nightmare or dreaming of something that actually happens a few days later. I read all the time and my favorites are psychological thrillers and the crime chanel 255 (not ladylike I know!), but do you think these might be a contributing factor? I have stopped reading thrillers though and now have switched to " soft"  material since I am a bookworm &  writer but my nightmares still persist. I have read somewhere that people prone to nightmares have some sort of psychological problem, such as post-traumatic stress disorder or depression but I just don''t have a depression " chip" , guess it is hereditary? I just want to know if some people are naturally prone to nightmares and versions. Thank you and stay blessed!

Some people do seem to be naturally a bit more probne to have nightmares, and some situations may create this temporarily ( some meds when started, or when one is coming off them, for instance ) Yes if you keep feeding your imagination with dramatic and morbid material, that would be more likely to turn up in your dreams, just as, I suppose, too heavy a diet of rom-coms could lead to nightmares of Catherine Heigl.
In PTSD there may be daytime flashbacks or nightmares but very much related to the content of the original traumatic experience.
Feeding on more wholesome and happy material might beneficially influence your dream content, as could getting more involved in real-life activities and less wrapped up in fantasy material. ANd some people can learn methods of acively influencing dream content, so you can deliberately turn a nasty ending into a more pleasant one.

1