Question
Posted by: KV | 2009/11/26

Nightmares

Hi there. I am a 25 year old woman. For as long as i can remember I have had nightmares very often. A few times a month, if not every week. If they are not full on nightmares then they are at least disturbing. The dreams are often about paranormal things (weird because I do not read such books or watch horror movies) or about gruesome bloody murders and the like (also strange because I cant even bring myself to watch CSI!). Some background - I had a kind of rough childhood with an abusive alcoholic father and last year my grandmother (who i lived with as a child) was stabbed to death. I often dream of her these days as well but those dreams make sense as this was a recent trauma. I think i may have had and still have an underlying anxiety disorder of some kind, but really I dont feel " depressed"  enough to force myself to seek help. I' ve dealt with a lot in my life, but i dont know if they have affected me -i' ve moved out of my childhood home and life is good now, but i still suffer with anxiety esp concerning sleep. I wake up often and easily. Maybe my bad life experiences manifest themselves in my sleep? Should i bother seeking help?

It may be useful to see a good local shrink for a thorough assessment, as there could be oher factors at work here which this could reveal and enable you to deal with. Anxiety can be effectively treated, for instance, with CBT counselling, and with some drugs also used to treat depression.

1