Question
Posted by: Nadine | 2009/05/26

nightmares

My son of 2½  years are having nightmares(I think), the last time (a few months ago) it lasted for a week, I moved he' s room as he was complaining about something about the door.Its been 3 days that he wakes up screaming in the middle of the night that somethings gonna catch him. I am extremely frustrated about this as I want to help him but don' t know what to do. He wakes up screaming and takes quite a while to get him calm. Please HELP!

These might also be night terrors, except if he can describe what frightens him, and it apparently arises from a misinterpretation of shadows on the door, this is more like a nightmare. A child shrink could help assess this situation directly and advise best about how to rapidly get this back into control.
Among the things that can help are these --- talk it over calmly with him and check whether there are new things in his day-time / waking life that he finds frightening or challenging, and if so, deal with them. Consider a night-light to avoid the shadows he may be finding menacing, so he can see there are no monsters. Give lots of reassurance and hugs, and don't concentrate too much on your own feelings of helplessness that the little guy is getting so scared on these occasions. Acknowledge that this is frightening, but that he is safe and that nothing bad is going to happen to him at these times. Sometikes it helps for the child to be encouraged during the bright day, to draw a picture of the nightmare monster ( more whatever wasd frightening ) and then crumple it up and throw it away ceremoniously. A cuddly toy or "blankie" can be a great re--assurance.

4
Posted by: Nadine | 2009/05/26

He has been sleeping on his own from the age of 3 months in his own room and sleeps with his light on since then.

Thanks a lot Anonymous and to the expert, your replies are really highly appreciated. In life we seem to life for our children and if they are unhappy so are we. I' ll try your advice and report back after a few days to let you know if everythings going better.

Reply to Nadine
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/26

Doc is probably right, separation anxieties well it explains itself really, how long has he been sleeping on his own? And maybe he wants to be near his parents or you and scared you might leave him.
When I was little(mind you still up today - this is for various reasons), my parents had to leave a light on(passage light) for me to sleep, it gave me more comfort and I wasn' t scared. I suggest leaving a light on for him and leaving his room door open, so he knows you not far away and its easier for him to get up and run to you should he be scared again and you will be able to hear him better when he screams for you.
My dad use to light an inscense stick and tell me that would protect me, it worked cos to date if i sleep uneasy and had a nightmare, the next day I would light an inscense stick and it would be so comforting and I would feel protected and of course I would sleep like a baby, it could mean many things including powers of suggestion like the cuddly toy or blankie could be away to tell him they would chase away the ' monsters'  or whatever he feels is scaring him. The first thing you should do is find out what the nightmare is all about and let him describe it to you.

Hope this helps

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/26

thanks for your reply, can you please elaborate on separation anxieties?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/26

maybe he is having separation anxieties?