Posted by: shelley | 2008-12-17

Hi there, I dont know if you can help me with this but this has happened to me ever since I was little.

Whenever I have a nightmare, my back goes into a violent spasm while I am still fast asleep - I arch my back so far that my back actually clicks out of place sometimes or I am left with sore muscles that spasm all day the next day. The pain that this arching causes is actually what wakes me from my nightmare

Usually I have very graphic, vivid and violent nightmares where I can recall every detail - colours, smells, feelings etc.
Usually I dream that I have been shot, stabbed, empaled, stung or bitten in the exact spot when the spasm begins - I dont know if I arch my back due to fear in the dream and then the spasm starts or if my back goes into spasm and then I dream about the pain being there.

Is there some psychological reason for this - why does this happen? Have you ever heard of this happening to anyone else?

We each respond to stress and fear in rather different ways, and maybe back spasm is one of yours. Its not unusual for a dream to adapt from its usual rather random content, to include something that is happening, like your back spasm. People who accidentally wet the bed, or whose hot water botle breaks, may dream they're swimming ! It might be useful to see a shrink for assessment as to whether there are any elements such as long-term stress and worries which could be fuelling these bad dreams, and which may deserve proper attention in their own right.