Posted by: Kevin | 2011-01-06

Hope you had a great festive season - I am taking 200mg twice a day of niacin for cholesterol and it is keeping my levels well under control according to my blood results. I am diabetic type 2 and take no medication and keep my hba1c under 6 with diet control. I read the other day that one should not take niacin if you are diabetic and am now concerned - I have always ensured that I only take the niacin on an empty stomac and also only when my sugar levels are around 5.0 - Your advice would really be appreciated. Regards Kevin

Expert ImageNatural health

Hi Kevin

According to the natural medicine database niacin can interfere with blood glucose control requiring dosing adjustment of antidiabetic agents. Niacin and niacinamide can cause hyperglycemia, abnormal glucose tolerance, and glycosuria. Increased blood glucose monitoring may be necessary, particularly early in the course of treatment.
if you are measuring your blood glucose levels then this should not be a problem.
Dr Debbie

Posted by: Tracey | 2011-01-10

Kevin, I am not an expert but tried taking niacin and suffered awfully with headaches and hot flushes and burning ringing ears... I read that it can be harmful in high doses.

Reply to Tracey