Question
Posted by: Kevin | 2011/01/06

Niacin

Hope you had a great festive season - I am taking 200mg twice a day of niacin for cholesterol and it is keeping my levels well under control according to my blood results. I am diabetic type 2 and take no medication and keep my hba1c under 6 with diet control. I read the other day that one should not take niacin if you are diabetic and am now concerned - I have always ensured that I only take the niacin on an empty stomac and also only when my sugar levels are around 5.0 - Your advice would really be appreciated. Regards Kevin

Hallo Kevin
Best wishes for 2011 for you too!
If you can still keep your blood sugar within normal levels when taking your niacin, it is not a problem to take it. In some people it tends to increase blood sugar, therefor the warning to be careful. In high doses like yours it can cause liver damage or stomach ulcers, so have your liver functions checked every 6 months or so (or when you do your cholesterol levels).

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/01/06

Hallo Kevin
Best wishes for 2011 for you too!