Question
Posted by: DEI | 2011/08/17

NEXIUM 40MG AND 7 MONTHS PREGNANT

Good morning,
i am near 7 months pregnant and i am suffering with major heartburn, i have got GORD and have an oesophageal reflux problem and was supposed to have had an operation on my valve as it is damaged, i was supposed to have taken nexium from february already but when i found out i was pregnant did not want to take any medication, now that i am so far into my pregnancy, i cant eat or drink anything as it feels like acid going down my throat and chest. is it safe now to take the nexium and will it be okay when i breastfeed?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Nexium is in the FDA pregnancy category B. This means that it is unlikely to harm an unborn baby, however sometimes information comes our years later that a particular drug is more harmful than initially thought.
Regarding breast feeding, scientists are not sure whether Nexium passes into breast milk. The general consensus is not to take Nexium without first talking to your doctor.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/08/18

Reply to pharmacist