Posted by: cc | 2013-01-16

Newly pregnant and confused - help! :(

I found out yesterday I''m pregnant, and I''m extatic. But I don''t know what happens next! I don''t have a gynae yet, so I know I need to find one but I haven''t yet. (Don''t want to just pick a name out of a hat!!) So that stresses me out because I have a million questions!

The other thing is, my GP phoned to tell me how far along my blood test says I am. Now I read that you count from the day you had your last cycle, meaning week 1 and week 2 you haven''t even conceived yet! Week 3 is conception.
Now my GP says I''m 2-3 weeks along - what does that mean? There''s some level she was referring to that should be 10 or higher, and mine was 75. She was on the line for about 10 seconds, so I didn''t get to ask any questions.

Posted by: cc | 2013-01-23

Doctor''s got me on bed rest for now to be safe. :( Bleeding just about stopped, and then got a bit heavier again this morning. Also got put on provera to " settle"  things.
Just wish I knew for sure what was going on!! Between last week Monday and this week Monday my hcg went from 75 to over 3000, so we know it''s not just a blighted ovum, but it could still be a miscarriage. Now it''s a waiting game, I guess. :(

Reply to cc
Posted by: Nini | 2013-01-22

How did it go with the doctor?

If you say that it was very light and it didnt increase then I dont think it''s anything to be worried about, although I''m not a doctor so all I can say is to not take any chances. But I''m pretty sure if it is something serious then the bleeding and cramping will increase.

Let us know how it goes!

Reply to Nini
Posted by: cc | 2013-01-21

Thank you so much!! You have no idea how much I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. :)

Made an app with a dr recommended by friends, I''ll be seeing her around 8/9 weeks.

I have been experiencing the mild cramping, but haven''t worried about it because I read that''s just your womb growing and adjusting to the new changes. But this morning I was spotting lightly (sort of light red), and I''ve been really worried. It hasn''t been heavy enough to stain my underwear, it''s just there when I wipe. It seems to have stopped now, but I''m keeping an eye on it. I made an appointment with my GP for this afternoon just in case... Should I be worried??

Reply to cc
Posted by: Nini | 2013-01-20

first and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS!

When it comes to picking a gynea, rather ask around and get your friends and family to recommend someone. Word of mouth is always best when it comes to such a personal matter. The next best option is to let your GP refer you. Otherwise you can just call your local hospital and let them give you a list of their gynea''s at the hospital and take it from there.

Judging by your doctor saying that you are 2 - 3 weeks pregnant, he is most likely referring to the fact that you conceived 2 - 3 weeks ago. But this would mean that you are in fact approximately 5 or 6 weeks pregnant. The best and most accurate way to calculate how far along you are is to use the first date of your last period. So whichever date you started your last period on, start counting from there until now, and that is how many weeks you are. As you say the first 2 weeks you haven''t conceived yet, but in reality it is actually impossible for any doctor to pinpoint your exact date of conception, therefore the date of your last period is used to get an average.

The best advice I can give you is to just go with the flow. Every single pregnancy is different and you never know how yours will be. Just enjoy every minute because before you know it, it''s over.

Morning sickness usually kicks in around 6 to 8 weeks, and will subside around the 12 week mark.

The only time you really need to worry is if you start bleeding or you get severe cramps. Other than that, expect some mild period like cramping every now and then, and light brown spotting from time to time is also fine. Just rest a lot, look after yourself and enjoy this amazing time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck :-)

Reply to Nini