Posted by: VR | 2012-07-25

Newly Pregnant &  Concerned

The first day of my last period was 11 June 12. I did a home pregnancy test on 14 July which was positive. I could not get an early appointment with my Gynae so i went to my GP instead who did a blood test which also came out positive &  he did an ultrasound scan in his rooms. He estimated then (17 July) that I was 3 weeks pregnant. The scan was not very clear &  we saw a black spot in my uterus which he told me was the sac. My Gynae can only see me on 21 August. My concerns are:
1.) My GP told me that 10% of woman see a sac but it can be empty. Is this true?
2.) I dont know exactly how many weeks pregnant I am?
3.) Is it ok that I am only going to see my Gynae for the first time on 21 August &  not sooner? Am I not missing out on any important tests that should be done?
4.) I was taking folic acid before I conceived &  have continued to do so. I am also only starting to take Centrum Materna DHA from today. Should I take anything else?

Sorry for the long email.

Thanking you in advance for your response.

You can really only see anything on ultrasound from 5-6 weeks, so very early scans are not useful.
You will be 8 weeks pregnant on August 4th. It is fine to see your gynaecologist on the 21 st when you will be just over 10 weeks. All tests can be done then. You don't need any other vitamins besides what you are taking. Some women have an empty sac, but it is most likely that your scan was done very early, hence this finding.

Posted by: Annie | 2012-07-26

Glad I could help!

You are welcome to join us on the pregnancy forum where there are lots of pregnant ladies that can reply to similar questions or just to share your feelings!

Reply to Annie
Posted by: VR | 2012-07-25

Thank you so much for your response. I do feel better now &  have more of an idea of whats going on &  what to expect.

Appreciate it!

Reply to VR
Posted by: Annie | 2012-07-25

Congrats on your pregnancy!!

1) yes some sacks are empty.... and lots of miscarriages happen in the first 6 weeks. I have lost 2 babies this early.
2) There is two different ways of counting weeks pregnant - either from first day of last menstruation or from conception.
Counting from last menstruation date is the general. My blood tests with my first baby was counted this way - 5 weeks and my blood with my current pregnancy was from conception/ovulation - 3 weeks.
So generally you should be 6weeks and 2 days by now.
3) If there is no history of miscarriages or problems, most gynes prefer to only see you between 8 and 10 weeks. So your appointment should be fine. Between 12-14weeks is the down syndrom scanning and around 20 weeks the other important test, cant rember the name now.
4) In the first few weeks folic acid is the most important. But taking a multivitamin  omega 3 and also calsium is important to. Just start taking it regularly now.

I am not a gyne but I have a two year little girl and am 4 months pregnant again now. So I hope my response will at least put you at ease while waiting for gyne docs response.

Reply to Annie